Strategy and policy
The main goal of health financing systems is the achievement of universal coverage of health care that protects populations against the risk of catastrophic health expenditure and impoverishment. This goal requires sufficient funds to be equitably mobilized and efficiently utilized. The health economics and health care financing programme works with Member States and other development partners to support countries in their move towards universal coverage.
The programme has identified six strategic directions for improving health care financing in the countries of the Region. These are:
- Mobilizing sufficient resources for universal coverage
- Developing prepayment schemes
- Promoting and supporting strategic purchasing
- Promoting, supporting and generating knowledge for evidence-based health financing policies and acheivement of universal coverage
- Coordinating national and international partners and improving aid effectivenes
- Monitoring and evaluating equity and universal coverage.
Fifty-seventh Regional Committee for the Eastern Mediterranean technical discussion paper (EM/RC57/Tech.Disc.1)
Fifty-seventh Regional Committee for the Eastern Mediterranean resolution (EM/RC57/R.7)